SEVEN STEPS for BETTER SUPERVISION – CONTINUE
STEP 1: Know the JOB!
There are TWO parts of the job – Firstly, as a supervisor, you have a set of responsibilities given to you and you have a clear understanding of what is expected. Secondly, you must have knowledge of the working environment you are supervising. Without this knowledge, it can be difficult to supervise those around you, as they will at some point turn to you for advice and will rely on your technical experience to pull them through the issue they may have. Having good background knowledge within you field of expertise will help support those around you.
You also need to be aware of:
- Keeping those you supervise away from potential harm and dangers
- Minimising any risks which may present themselves to those for whom you are responsible
- Have an appreciation of how short cuts occur and the consequences of the decision and the impact on the customer and business
- Know the working standards required – yours and the companies
- Have a resolution for ‘what if?’ scenarios
TOMORROW – STEP 2